About admin

This author has not yet filled in any details.
So far admin has created 77 blog entries.

Underused Housing Tax

A new tax called the Underused Housing Tax ("UHT") has been implemented by the Canadian government and took effect January 1, 2022. UHT is an annual tax on vacant or underused Canadian housing. It is applies non-resident non- Canadian owners however Canadian residents may also be impacted. UHT is calculated at 1% of the market value of the residential property for the 2022 calendar year. You may be required to file a UHT return even though there is no UHT owing. If so, the return must be submitted by April 30, 2023. You must file a UHT return if at Dec 31, 2022: 1) You are the legal owner of Canadian residential property 2) You are not considered an "excluded owner" of the property. "Excluded Owner" includes: Canadian citizens or permanent residents unless included in the list of affected owners. Individual Canadian citizens or permanent residents that own a residential property as a trustee of a mutual fund trust, real estate investment trust, or SIFT Canadian corporation whose shares are listed on a Canadian stock exchange designated for Canadian income tax purposes Registered charity for for [...]

Underused Housing Tax2023-03-06T21:22:25+00:00

Flipping a Residential Property? You may be on the hook for tax.

The Federal government’s new flipping rules are now law under the Fall Economic Statement Implementation Act, 2022.   This law applies to any sales that occur after January 1, 2023. If you own a Canadian residential property for less than 365 consecutive days, then the profits from the sale are deemed to be business income, and are fully taxable as business income unless an exception applies. The principle residence exception rule is no longer available to reduce the tax. The exceptions are: * Death of the taxpayer or a related person * Related person joint the household (eg. new child, elderly parent) or the tax payer is joining a related persons household * Breakdown of marriage or common law partnership of the tax payer (must be living apaart for 90 days prior to the sale) * Threat to the personal safety of the tax payer or related person * Disability of serious illness of the taxpayer or related person * Work relocation (new home is 40km closer to the work place) of the tax payer or spouse * Involuntary termination of employment to the taxpayer or spouse [...]

Flipping a Residential Property? You may be on the hook for tax.2023-02-22T22:00:20+00:00

Sign in the comfort of your own home

Giardino Law focuses on the client experience. We want to make the Real Estate Closing Process as Convenient and Comfortable for you as we can. We are able to complete your real estate losing virtually through a video conference call regardless of your location so long as the property is located in Alberta. We are happy to help with your upcoming real estate purchase or sale. We have over 15 years experience in closing real estate transactions. It is all we do everyday and we are happy to offer this convenient document signing solution to our clients. Buying or selling a home is likely one of the biggest financial transactions of your life. While we do offer this convenient solution, we also do think it is important to meet face to face and you are always welcome to meet in person at our office. What you need to know about Virtual Signing of Real Estate Closing Documents In light of the Covid 19 pandemic, it is not in the public interest to meet in person to sign documents required for Land Title Transactions in Alberta.   The [...]

Sign in the comfort of your own home2020-09-29T17:29:41+00:00

Understanding The Conveyancing Process

The decision to buy or sell a home in Edmonton is a big one. It isn't like putting up an old TV for sale online or selling a vehicle. Not only is it probably your largest financial investment, but it is also a major personal decision as you decide where you want to base your family. It is important to work with an Edmonton conveyancer when completing your real estate transactions to make sure your investment is protected and your process is stress free. What Is Conveyance? A legal contract is different from documents such as newspaper articles and fiction novels. Contracts and other legal documents must follow an exact form and protocol to be considered legally fixed and enforceable. The format of legal documents varies from one country or even one province to the next. This is especially true when it comes to property titles and other materials that certify ownership of a property. When someone buys or sells a property in Edmonton, the parties enter into a purchase and sale contract that sets out the terms of the transaction such as the sale price [...]

Understanding The Conveyancing Process2020-04-06T16:41:59+00:00

4 Simple Steps To Help You Sell Your House Fast

Selling your home is a big endeavour, even when the economy is booming.  Uncertainties, ups and downs of offers, the time involved, cleaning, moving – there is so much to deal with! To make the process easier on yourself, you should consider the following: Work With A Real Estate Agent You don’t have to work with a real estate agent, but you’ll want to once you know what they can do for you. While real estate agents take a commission from the sale of your home, they can help you sell your home quickly and for the best price. They promote your home, find ways to attract potential buyers, and help make your home more presentable with staging and similar methods. Depersonalize Your Home It was your home, but now you want someone else to think of it as theirs, so start de-cluttering. Take down family photos, toys, posters, stickers, or other signs of habitation and put them in storage. You want people to go inside the house and see themselves living in it. They will have a harder time doing that when it’s obvious that [...]

4 Simple Steps To Help You Sell Your House Fast2020-04-06T16:42:21+00:00

What To Ask A Real Estate Lawyer Before Hiring Them

If you’re looking to buy a home in Edmonton you may be a local taking a big step or someone from out of town settling down in a new city. One thing buyers have in common, however, is a need for proper real estate guidance. Hiring a real estate lawyer in Edmonton is one of the best ways to ensure a smooth, successful purchase. A lawyer has the knowledge and experience in property law to guide you through the process. But picking a good real estate lawyer means asking the right questions. Here are some of the questions you should be asking any real estate lawyer you’re thinking of working with. How Much Will It Cost? A lawyer should be upfront about the fees and provide an accurate estimate of how much you can expect to pay. While some lawyers will bundle everything into a fixed cost, others may charge a fee plus their out of pocket expenses. In either case, full disclosure about estimated fees should be provided when you ask. As with any critical business decision, you can’t be expected to make a strategic [...]

What To Ask A Real Estate Lawyer Before Hiring Them2020-04-06T16:42:38+00:00

Common Mistakes Home Sellers Make

Whether you’re thinking of downsizing now that the kids have moved away or looking to make a profit on your first real estate investment in Edmonton, selling a home needs to be done right. This is a significant financial transaction, and it’s going to play out differently based on different circumstances, such as if you are still paying your mortgage or in the clear for it. If you want to do it right, make sure to avoid these common mistakes. Failing To Repair The Home It’s not necessarily good business sense to completely renovate your home, as this can eat into your final cost for sale. However, it’s essential that you cover the basics and make sure the fundamentals of your home are in good condition. A roof with holes and missing shingles, broken windows, or, worst of all, a visible crack in your foundation will drive away buyers. Buying damaged property means signing up for additional repair costs beyond what the seller is asking for the home, so many don’t want to do it. Repairing small obvious items before listing your home will avoid making [...]

Common Mistakes Home Sellers Make2020-04-06T16:42:59+00:00

5 Mistakes To Avoid When Selling Your Home

The property market outlook in Edmonton is now far less certain than at the beginning of the year, but that doesn’t mean things are hopeless. Some people are still planning to buy properties this year, and others are looking to sell. If you’re trying to sell to the buyers still out there, make sure to avoid these five mistakes. Don’t Ignore Aesthetics First impressions are everything in real estate. While some may argue that paying for staging to make your house more presentable is unnecessary, good presentation is invaluable. Clean up your home and minimize clutter. You can either pay professionals to stage your home or handle the task yourself. Repair The Essentials Fix your roof, replace old drainage pipes if they’re breaking down, and if you have problems with your foundation, get it fixed. These are expenses home buyers don’t want to take on themselves. If they see these problems in your home, they’ll quickly move on to a lower-maintenance option. Figure Out Your Sales Costs Selling a home will cost you money, especially if you’re in a hurry. For example, if your plan is [...]

5 Mistakes To Avoid When Selling Your Home2020-04-06T16:43:13+00:00

3 Tips For First-Time Home Buyers

Alberta, like the rest of the world, has been affected by COVID-19, while at the same time oil prices are pounding our economy. This makes for a slower market, but for buyers right now, it may also mean better, more affordable opportunities. If you want to make the most of this chance, make sure you follow these tips for a smart, safe purchase. Get Pre-Approved One of the most important financial actions you can take even before you start house-hunting is getting pre-approved for your mortgage. As the term suggests, this means approaching your bank or other lenders and getting an early “approval in principle” for an agreed-upon amount of money. This means you now know what your budget for home buying is. More importantly, it can also mean a fast sale, as the seller now knows you’re good for the money since the pre-approval is in place. It’s not unusual for home sale deals to fall through because a lender decides not to approve a mortgage once the application is made. Pre-approval eliminates that risk.   At the very least, be sure to have all your [...]

3 Tips For First-Time Home Buyers2020-04-06T16:43:38+00:00

What’s The Difference Between A Home Buying Agent And A Real Estate Lawyer?

People who are thinking of buying or selling a home right now have a new set of considerations to keep in mind during these uncertain times. However, one thing that is certain for buyers and sellers is they get better results when they get help from experts. For real estate, that means working with a home buying agent and a lawyer for house purchase, such as a real estate lawyer. But how do those two roles differ from one another? The Agent: Helping With The Property Hunt A home buying agent is a person whose job is to “matchmake” people looking for residential properties with homes currently on sale that may be a good fit for them. This job involves having an awareness of the property market itself and being sensitive to the needs of clients looking for a home. Understanding the preferences and hopes of clients and introducing them to properties that match their criteria are the primary goals of a home buying agent. Once the selection has been narrowed down and the client has a serious intention to buy a home, the agent liaises [...]

What’s The Difference Between A Home Buying Agent And A Real Estate Lawyer?2020-04-06T16:44:05+00:00

Tips On Choosing A Real Estate Lawyer

If you’re thinking of buying or selling a home in Edmonton’s real estate market, you should think about finding the best real estate lawyer in Edmonton for your needs. A good real estate lawyer ensures an efficient safe, smooth transition when it comes to closing a home purchase, and this applies to both buyers and sellers. But how do you make sure you get a good lawyer who will get the job done for you? Here are a few tips. Get Full Disclosure On Fees And Payments A good real estate lawyer will be clear about fees. You don’t want to work with a lawyer who will have surprise charges, such as adding extra fees because they consider it a billable hour whenever you call and ask them a question. A lawyer should not keep you in the dark about what you can expect to pay and will give you a breakdown of fees. If disbursements are included in that total, that’s a good sign that you won’t have any fee surprises. Experience Look for a real estate lawyer who has been in business for a [...]

Tips On Choosing A Real Estate Lawyer2020-04-06T16:44:23+00:00

How A Real Estate Attorney Can Help You During The Sale Of Your Condo

Selling a property is a big decision. It means you are ready to start a new chapter in your life. Congratulations. 3 Things You Need To Know When Selling A Condo There a few different steps involved in the sale of a condo vs. a single family dwelling. Both your real estate agent and your lawyer can guide you through the process. Condominium Document Disclosure. Most purchase and sale contracts require that you provide the buyer with a number of documents so that the buyer can be informated about important matters related to the operation of the condominium corporation. You will order these documents from your property management company.  There is a cost involved so please be prepared to add this to your budget.  The cost is anywhere from $100 to $500.00. Payment of Special Assessments. If there are any special assessments you are usually required to pay them in full on the closing including any special assessments payments that are due after the closing so long as they were assessed prior to the closing.  Your obligations related to the payment of the special assessment will depend [...]

How A Real Estate Attorney Can Help You During The Sale Of Your Condo2020-03-30T16:59:52+00:00

Why Do I Need A Title Search Before Buying A Property?

After spending hours or days looking for a place, you finally found your dream home. However, there are things you need to consider before signing that agreement. You have to make sure that you protect your rights as a buyer.  What To Do One of the first things you need to do is to have a title search. You can ask your real estate agent or mortgage lawyer in Edmonton to conduct this for you. The land title serves as proof of the rights of a person to a piece of property. A title search will show whether the property that you plan on buying is sellable and free from liens or defects.  Why Do It A Title Search can help you find out about the history and issues associated with the property. It will help you better understand the land that you are planning on purchasing. The title search will validate if the sellers are the real owners of the land. You will also find out how many times the property went through transfers. If there have been numerous owners is a short time, you may have to [...]

Why Do I Need A Title Search Before Buying A Property?2020-03-26T18:09:43+00:00

What Does A Real Estate Lawyer Cost In Edmonton?

Some individuals think hiring a lawyer is an unnecessary step in a real estate transaction. However, it is necessary to have a real estate lawyer complete your transaction in Alberta.   Finding a lawyer is not that hard.  However, it does not mean that you have to go for a cheap real estate lawyer in Edmonton. You have to make sure that the services they offer fit your needs. See this article to understand what you can expect in working with a real estate lawyer. Understanding The Fees Hiring a real estate lawyer has many advantages. If you find the right one, you can expect a smooth transaction. The cost of services may vary depending on the lawyer. However, a cheap real estate lawyer in Edmonton may not necessarily be the best option. Your lawyer will work hand-in-hand with you. Thus, you have to ensure the quality of their work. To help you understand what working with a lawyer requires, you need to know what fees are included. Generally, there are three components of fees for real estate lawyers in Edmonton. Legal fees – This fee refers to what [...]

What Does A Real Estate Lawyer Cost In Edmonton?2020-03-28T01:26:32+00:00

How Does A Mortgage Lawyer Help With Closing?

Many people dream of purchasing a home. That is why it is exciting to finally find the right property. However, it also comes with responsibilities. You need to follow a simple process. Having the right real estate lawyer will make this process efficient and stress free. The Final Step After going through all the steps, you will find yourself facing the closing. It is the last thing you have to do to finalize your purchase. Once the seller accepts your offer, the signing of the purchasing agreement comes next. Then, you two will have to agree to a closing date. Generally, the closing date is the day you become the legal owner of the land you purchased and the time the seller is paid for the property. During this time, you will have to perform all the agreements that you have made with the seller and your mortgage lender. You may have to exchange documents and money. To accomplish everything properly, you need to hire a real estate and mortgage lawyer in Edmonton. A Lawyer’s Role There are a lot of ways a lawyer can help you.  [...]

How Does A Mortgage Lawyer Help With Closing?2020-03-26T18:09:19+00:00

Things To Know Before Buying A Condo In Edmonton

Buying a home is one of the biggest investments for a person. That is why a person needs to consider a lot of things before finalizing a purchase. The type of property that one buys will depend on the person’s needs and lifestyle. Condo units have become more popular over the years. They offer a lot of advantages. However, there are also various factors you need to understand. What You Need to Know To help you get started, here are 4 things you should know. You may even need the help of condominium lawyers in Edmonton. The nature of the property. A condominium is a form of real property that includes two parts: 1) your condominium unit that you own and have a title to; and 2) the common property which you jointly own with the other owners according to your unit share in the condominium corporation. All of the unit owners are responsible for the reponsibilities of the building including the costs of maintenance and repair and operating the building. There are various documents you should review prior to confirming your offer to purchase. There [...]

Things To Know Before Buying A Condo In Edmonton2020-03-26T18:08:59+00:00

What Will My Mortgage Lawyer Do For Me?

There are a lot of things you should consider when buying a home in Edmonton. Aside from looking for the right property, you will also have to choose the mortgage suitable for your needs. Mortgage refers to a debt instrument wherein a company or bank lends a buyer the money one needs at interest to complete the purchase of a property. The rates may vary depending on where you are buying the property. You can check current rates in Edmonton and compute the payments using the mortgage calculator. There are many types of mortgages. See this article on the Types of Mortgages in Alberta to have a better understanding of each of them. It may also be helpful to obtain legal advice from a mortgage lawyer in Edmonton before you make your decision on a mortgage. A Lawyer’s Role If you have decided to hire a real estate lawyer in Edmonton, it would be best to clarify with them their level of involvement. Their knowledge of the law will be highly beneficial for you as a buyer. Besides, as the client, you and your rights will be their priority. [...]

What Will My Mortgage Lawyer Do For Me?2020-01-28T17:53:29+00:00

What Is The Process Of Buying A Condominium?

When purchasing a home, a buyer has a lot of options. One of these is a condominium. There are many reasons why some people choose to purchase condominiums over traditional homes.  Why Choose Condominiums Condominiums offer advantages that traditional homes do not have. Since these types of homes are in urban areas, they offer convenience. They are usually within walking distance to shops, restaurants, and offices. Most of them also have amenities, such as fitness centers and pools. Condominiums have become an attractive option for people who have busy lives. They also support a low-maintenance lifestyle. Personally, I live in a condominium and I love the convenience. The Buying Process Despite the differences, purchasing a traditional home and a condominium both require one to undergo a process. Choose the right condominium. Not all condominiums are the same. In Edmonton, there are two types of ownership of a condominium unit. You can choose the conventional condominium, which is the common form located within a building. You can also have a bare land condominium unit, which is a plot of land that can either be developed or not. Some condominiums [...]

What Is The Process Of Buying A Condominium?2020-01-28T17:53:39+00:00
Go to Top