We handle the paperwork that transfer the property title to your name, we deal with your mortgage financing, and we pay the seller the purchase price. This is called the Conveyancing of the Property to you. For a detailed explanation of what is included in our service, please click here.
Read about why you need a Real Estate Lawyer here.
STEP 1 – LET’S GET STARTED
We would be happy to help you with your home purchase. If you would like us to help you, please call or email us to confirm. We will ask you to complete the Buyer Intake Form or you can provide us the information over the phone. Once we receive this information, we will open your file and get started on the paperwork that transfers your new home to you.
STEP 2 – GIVE OUR CONTACT INFORMATION TO YOUR REALTOR & MORTGAGE LENDER
Your Mortgage Broker or Representative will provide us with the information for your new mortgage or loan being used to finance the purchase. These are called the “Mortgage Instructions”
Your Realtor will provide us with the “Conveyancing Instructions”. These include a copy of the Purchase & Sale Contract. If you do not have a Realtor, you will also need to provide me with the following information or documents at least 2 weeks prior to the possession date:
- Copy of the Purchase & Sale Agreement.
- Seller’s Contact Information.
- Name of Seller’s Real Estate Lawyer
- Proof of any Deposit paid directly to the Seller or Seller’s Real Estate Lawyer.
STEP 3 – MEET US
About 1 to 2 weeks before your possession date, we will meet in person to sign the property transfer and mortgage documents. We will contact you to schedule the meeting. Please let us know if you will be out of town.
At this meeting, you will need to bring the following, for example:
- 2 valid pieces of identification. I am required by the Alberta Law Society as well as by your mortgage lender to verify your identity by viewing and copying 2 pieces of original and valid identification including one government issued photo identification.
- Cash Shortfall/Your Down Payment. A bank draft or certified cheque payable to “Giardino Law, In Trust” for the Down Payment amount. This amount represents your Purchase Price less the Mortgage Proceeds plus the Legal Fees and plus or minus any adjustments for things like property taxes and condo fees. If the source of your down payment is from investments or your RRSP, please be sure you have arranged for the funds to be available to you on time.
- Proof of insurance (if applicable).
- Void Cheque (if applicable).
We will provide you with details when we contact you to set up a meeting
STEP 4 – RECEIVE YOUR KEYS
On the Possession Day (also referred to as the Closing Day and Completion Day), we will pay the seller’s lawyer the purchase price. The seller’s lawyer then contacts the seller or the seller’s realtor and instructs them to release the keys to you. Key release generally happens after NOON on the possession date. We will contact you to confirm that we have paid the seller. Your real estate agent will make arrangements with you to give you the keys.
BUYER INTAKE FORM