Will, Personal Directive & Power of Attorney Package
WHAT WE DO
Our Package includes 3 Documents:
- Will – A will allows you to set out how your estate is distributed upon your death.
- Personal Directive – A Personal Directive allows you to appoint someone to make your
health care decisions in the event you are incapable of doing so.
- Power of Attorney – A Power of Attorney allows you to appoint someone to deal with your legal and financial matters in the event you are incapable of doing so.
This package is for someone with a Simple Estate Plan. A Simple Estate Plan is best suited for a person or couple that:
- does not have to account for more significant financial assets;
- does not have to account for the distribution of lots of different types of assets;
- does not own a privately held business or a family business;
- most of their assets are in Alberta and their time is spent in Alberta;
- does not have mixed family situation;
- does not have a complicated distribution plan to multiple beneficiaries.
Simple estates are prepared with very little turn-around time. The lawyer time devoted to the file is minimal as precedent forms are relied on and this is reflected in the low legal fee charge.
What we don’t do. (the fine print)
- Give you any kind of tax advice including advice about taxes payable by your estate or beneficiaries and tax saving strategies;
- Keep original documents;
- Do any searches to determine the ownership of your property. We assume the accuracy of the information that you provide to us;
- Any work related to the Administration of your estate, advice to your beneficiaries, and advice to your named Executor, Agent or Attorney;
- Provide you with advice about assets held outside of your estate;
- Provide you with advice about any obligations your estate may have pursuant to spousal or child support agreements;
- Provide you with any advice related to privately owned businesses or succession planning;
- Provide you with advice regarding assets held outside of Alberta. In the event you hold any assets outside of Alberta or intend to spend significant amounts of time outside of Alberta it is advisable that you speak to a lawyer in that jurisdiction.
STEP 1 – LET’S GET STARTED
We would be happy to help you with your Will, Personal Directive, & Power of Attorney Package. If you would like us to help you, please call or email us to confirm. We will schedule a consultation meeting with you and ask you to complete the Estate Questionnaire prior to our meeting.
STEP 2 – MEET WITH US
We will have a meeting to review the information provided in the Estate Questionnaire. At this meeting, we will receive your instructions for:
- Your Will: appointing an Executor and naming Beneficiaries of your assets upon your death;
- Your Personal Directive: appointing an Agent who will be responsible for your health and personal decisions if you are unable to;
- Your Power of Attorney: appointing an Attorney who will be responsible for your legal and financial decisions if you are unable to.
The initial consultation will be a maximum of 1 hour.
STEP 3 – RECEIVE DOCUMENTS FOR REVIEW
We will prepare the draft Will, Personal Directive, & Power of Attorney based on the information provided in our first meeting. We will send you the draft documents to review and you make ask us to make revisions.
The revision process will be a maximum of 1 hour.
STEP 4 – MEET US AGAIN TO SIGN THE DOCUMENTS
Once the draft has been finalised, we will have a second meeting to sign the documents. You will receive the original documents
DOWNLOAD THE ESTATE QUESTIONNAIRE NOW