We don’t have a joint account.

Where a property is owned jointly, the proceeds must be paid to the owners jointly as one sum.  Generally, we do not split the proceeds for example, 50% to one joint owner and 50% to the other.

In some cases, where you do not have a joint account, depending on the discretion of the lawyer, we may pay the sale proceeds to one party only.  This is typically where a parent and child own a property together and one of the parties was initially on title for the purposes of financing only. 

In the event of a separation, we can only disburse the proceeds according to the terms of a separation agreement or a court order and in the absence of such, we will hold the funds in trust until the separation agreement or court order is provided.

What are your feelings
Updated on August 23, 2023